Friday, September 11, 2009

Project: No More Pacifiers! Day Two

So Wednesday night (DAY ONE), I couldn't find Miles' pacifier and thought that it would be a good time to go cold turkey at night. Dr. Blen, our dentist said that it would soon disrupt his mouth formation and told Miles that he had to give the pacifier to the baby monkeys and giraffes at the zoo. I told him the same thing and he was prepped, but of course, not ready. This past weekend, I noticed that he was digging it out of his bag and sticking it in his mouth, even when he wasn't sleepy. I knew that it had to go.

Wednesday night PM
We got ready for bed slightly earlier than normal. Carter was already asleep and I devoted all my attention to getting him comfortable in his bed and explaining that the pacifier was at the zoo for the baby monkeys and giraffes. He asked, "long neck g'raf?". YES! We read stories and into bed he went--for a few minutes. I told him that if he slept without his pacifier, he would get a prize in the morning. Then he cried out, Mommy, I need my cc (that's what we call it). Then he walked into the kitchen where I was washing bottles and asked for it again. I walked him back and tucked him in. This ended about 15 minutes later when he fell asleep. Success! I sent a text message out that Miles had no pacifier and was a big boy.

Thursday morning 3:15 am. Miles wakes up and asks for his pacifier. I ignore it until he gets up and walks out crying. I lead him back in, saying get in the bed. This went on for another hour. Mostly, he would cry, walk out--I would walk him back. (At 4:30, Carter woke up from the noise and Rodrick patted him down until I made a bottle at 5:00 That's my limit. If it's before 5:00 am, Carter doesn't really need it). I remembered that on SuperNanny, the nanny suggested silence when they get out of bed. If you talk when they get out, they'll think they have company. So I stopped saying anything and just walked him back. Pretty soon, all I had to do was point and he would cry/walk back to bed. Around 5:50, he calmed down and by 6:10 he was asleep.

When he woke up for school I gave him his prize (a puppet) and he was not happy. He was very sleepy and angry about not having his cc. I gave him a cup of yogurt and he happily ate it on the way to school. Once there, we told EVERYONE about his pacifier free night and how big of a boy he was. He was very proud of his puppet.

Thursday after school: I learned that Miss Lisa gave him his pacifier at naptime, not knowing that we really were kicking it. AUGGGGGHHHH! We got home and I went to my hair appointment while Rodrick stayed with them.

Thursday pm (DAY TWO): Rodrick said it took 10 minutes longer for him to settle down and sleep. When I got home around 8:15, he was sleeping soundly.

Friday 1:27 am: I heard Miles coughing pretty violently and I worried that he couldn't catch his breath. I got a cup of water for him and his cough medicine. He didn't wake up but kept coughing. Then he wheezed and I knew he needed his albuterol inhaler. He woke up crying and I tried to give him his meds but he was too upset. We did the walk back to bed routine and he finally took his medicine, drank water, and stayed in bed, screaming. At 3:15, he settled down and I drifted to sleep as well. I would hear an occasional whimper, but that went away. There is nothing worse than hearing and ignoring, "Mommy? Come here. Mommy? Lay down."

I hear that the first two or three days is the hardest. I've got to get up tomorrow around 5:30 am to head to Conway for an Alumni meeting, so hopefully he will rest well tonight.

No comments: